The Principal Giving program serves our University of Arizona donors and prospects that have the capacity and affinity to make transformational and/or legacy gifts to any area of the UA, with an emphasis on the power of ongoing, thoughtful relationships with these donors and prospects.
The Director of Principal Giving will work with the Vice President for Principal Giving and Campaign, University Development Program (UDP) leadership team, university leadership, academic leaders, UA and UDP staff, and key donors. This includes the charge to identify, steward, cultivate and solicit individuals or families who typically have rated capacity of at least $1M and will benefit from a genuine, life-long relationship. This work is done collaboratively with many units across UA, and the Director will play the role of chief strategist and driver of various projects campus wide. The role requies an intense focus on the development of meaningful relationships that lead to transformational giving.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of principal gift prospects (PGP).
- Create for each PGP an individualized cultivation and solicitation plan, in consultation with the University President, Foundation CEO, and Vice President for Principal Giving and Campaign, UDP colleagues from schools, colleges and programs, Deans, Faculty and/or key volunteers.
- Facilitate, support and participate in donor visits with University representatives as necessary to build life-long relationships that culminate in the solicitation of transformative gifts.
- Work closely with colleagues across UA campus to prepare briefings, talking points, written proposals, informational materials, endowment agreements, gift illustrations and other materials needed to secure gifts.
- Ensure transparent communication to all colleagues across UA concerning developments and aspirations the institution may have for any given prospect.
- Participate cooperatively in the University’s prospect management and tracking system, following all stated processes and procedures.
- Working in partnership with the Vice President for Principal Giving and Campaign, take a lead role in managing the development travel schedule and calendar coordination for the University President and the President and CEO of the UA Foundation.
- After an appropriate onboarding time period, the Director will be expected to conduct a minimum of 100 donor visits and secure $5M in gifts annually.